Wednesday, October 29, 2008

USCIS Appointment

    Hello dear readers!
   It seems that now that the stress of my USCIS appointment is finally gone, I am back in the mood of writing. 
   So, first off, the appointment. After having to put together I'd say about 100 emails and letters (in chronological order too!) and also about 60 pictures, many copies of all the paperwork we ever submitted, and also copies of our original documents( birth, marriage certificates, passports, and others) the big day of the appointment finally came. 
   So we packed the car with lots of CDs (because I never really got put ALL the music we have on our computer and than iPod), a book each, and of course my knitting project, we hugged  our pets goodbye hoping they won't completely ruin the place while we're gone, and off we were.
     The strong winds and on/off rain added to the darkness, but we didn't get lost, in spite of bad mapquest directions. (After it said we should just stick to NC-24 and our next road would be our own, we had to take about 3 more turns that were not included). 
     We got to the hotel, checked it, and crashed after watching a little NCIS, a family favorite. We set the alarms, Seth's phone, my phone (even though I was having some battery issues), and also the hotel alarm clock, none of which went off in the morning. So I wake up at 7, after dreaming of being late, and realize we slept in for an extra half an hour. We still had plenty of time to get ready, because the USCIS place was just a few minutes away, and we already knew how to get to it from previous visits, but it was still scary to wake up later than planned.
     We got there at eight and we waited. And waited. No cell phones allowed, and no clocks on the walls. When we were called in, we found out it was 9:45. We were out by 9:55. It went fast and easy, and with no troubleshooting. I did have all the paperwork i needed, and the man only asked for a sample of our emails and letters, even though all the ones that we had WERE a sample. He took a look at our pictures, asked some questions and before we knew it we were told I should get my Green Card in two to four weeks. AWESOME! Oh, and I got my name changed too. Good thing I asked, the man just put a line over my Constantin name and wrote HEINLE in big red letters. So now my paperwork will be for Mrs Adina Daniela Heinle. 
     After we left we went to Subway to grab some brunch, since we didn't have time for any breakfast and we wouldn't be home at lunchtime. We got home, almost got lost because of incomplete Mapquest directions, and crashed again. After just 4-5 hours of sleep the previous night (im too used to my amazing pillow--Thanks Matt and Rushi!), all I wanted was to get home to my puppy.

    I was surprised to see that no damage was done to our home, and that the pets behaved very well. Nothing was torn apart, chewed on, or broken. Maybe they just slept the whole time we were gone, as they usually do. It took Suki about an hour before her excitement that Mami and Daddy are home went off. After many hugs and belly scratching, she finally settled down between Seth and I in our bed, and I could just hear her sigh with happiness. We didn't forget about her, and we did come back! Johnny Cash had a very "I just woke up and didn't even realize you were gone all night" attitude. We love you too, Johnny!

     Now I have to wait for my Green Card to come, and I have to start studying so I can get my drivers license! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Hopefully I won't go completely insane before than!. 
    I'm off to my chores now. 

   

No comments: